Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankful On Paper: Week Four

This, the final week of TOP, I am thankful for my dear friend, Dominic.

Here's the deal with Dom: He's my husband's best friend. He was the best man at our wedding. He is not only David's best friend, but I count him as mine as well. 

Since I've met and gotten to know Dom, he has altered and grown and matured so much. He has especially grown up a lot in the last year.

In the few years that I have known Dominic, he has blossomed into this incredible human being that I admire and look up to. I can always count on being one of many amongst his prayers and I know without a shadow of a doubt that he loves David and myself with all of his heart. He has become such an amazing man of God and an incredible example of Christ's love. He has always been there for us whenever we have needed him and though we don't see him as much as we wish we could, we know that we are always on his mind and in his heart as he is in ours. One of my favorite things about Dominic, besides his humor and vast knowledge of film, is that every once in a while I will get a random text from him just to let me know that he is thinking of us, praying for us and that he loves us. He also was such a great support and listener to me recently and I am so grateful for his sympathetic ear and incredible advice.

Dominic is intelligent, funny, kind, generous, thoughtful, compassionate, loving, supportive, understanding and forgiving. I am so thankful that God placed him in David's life and that they have grown together to become the mature and incredible men that they are. I am so thankful that he is Dave's best friend and that they can always look to each other for support and as examples of how to live. 

Over the time that I have watched Dominic grow into the amazing man that he has become and is still becoming, I have very often wondered why he is still single. I would mention this to Dave every time I thought of it and Dave would always reply, "I really don't know. He's such a catch" and he is. And then one day I thought about it again and realized this: God is preparing a very amazing, special and perfect woman for Dominic and God is still preparing him for her. I am so excited for when the day comes that the Lord decides to reveal that woman to Dominic. Of all the people I know, he deserves that kind of love more than anyone.

I am so proud of Dominic and all that he has become and has accomplished and I am excited to see the amazing things God has in store for him. He really is the best best friend that I've ever met and truly the best man.

Just to prove how thoughtful, caring and incredible Dominic is (and because this was the best speech I've ever heard in my life), here is the speech he gave at our wedding:

"To be completely honest I was a bit surprised when Dave asked me to be his best man. Not because we aren't best friends, but because he had to know at some point I would be behind a microphone, and I got quite a bit of dirt on that boy. Typically, during the toast the best man does his best at embarrassing the groom in front of his friends and family... but I am above that. I'm not gonna remind everyone in here of that terrible haircut he had all throughout high school. I'm not even gonna bring up the short, short career he had as a line dancer at Lone Star. And I'm definitely not gonna bring up all those years in middle school when he really thought he was the rapper Nelly. No seriously, he did. But even with all these quirks, Dave is still my best friend. I always looked up to Dave for two reasons: Number one, he's a lot taller than I am so I didn't really have a choice, but secondly, and more important, Dave is really the best guy I know. He's genuine, he's the most compassionate guy I know, and God really blessed me when he put him in my life. But also, in case you've ever gone out to eat with Dave, you know he's really picky. He orders a cheeseburger with no cheese, I never understood that! Seriously he does! But with his pickiness, combined with his good luck, it really paid off with Andrea. When Dave and I were single for a while, a very long while, Dave and I would sit around and talk about the perfect girl. And it was funny how Dave described Andrea perfectly before any of us ever met her. She's intelligent, kind, she has a heart for God, she's beautiful inside and out. And I know this is your day, and I know I'm not alone in this, but this is the happiest day of my life, too. Because honestly I cannot think of two people who deserve this more than you. Usually at the end of a speech, the best man offers some sort of advice, and though I'm not married, I do know you guys pretty well and I've learned a couple of things: A marriage is not just about two people. You guys can't do it on your own. You're gonna need help. You guys were both blessed with amazing families. Also, I'd like to consider your friends your extended family 'cause we're here for you too. And lastly, continue to invite God into your relationship, when you're hurting and when you're praising. I love you guys both very much and I'm so happy for you. If you will raise your glass: To a very long, beautiful, with lots and lots of babies, marriage. To Dave and Andrea!"






4 comments:

R said...

Wow, what a wonderful friend and such a beautiful speech.
Thank you for sharing and I would like to wish you and your family a very happy Thanksgiving from Australia :-)

grey rose (they/them) said...

Praise Jesus for such a darling friend! Thanks for sharing, happy thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

beautiful! i hope your thanksgiving was wonderful!

Unknown said...

Thank you all so much for your lovely comments!