Wednesday, December 8, 2010

I Never


I'm only a woman
Of flesh and bone
And I wept much
We all do
I thought I might die alone
But I had never
never never never never never
never
never never never
never
met you
So baby be good to me
I've got nothing to give you, you see
except everything, everything, everything, everything
All the good
And the bad
Cause I've been bad
I've lied, cheated, stolen, and been ungrateful for what I had
And I'm afraid habits rule my waking life
I'm scared
And I'm running in my sleep
For you
But all of the oceans and rivers and showers will wash it all away
And make me clean
For you
Cause I had never
never never never never never
never
never never never never
never never never
never
met you

So let's take a loan out
Put it down on a house
In a place we've never lived
in a place that exists
In the pages of scripts and
the songs that they sing
And all the beautiful things
That make people weep but
Don't have to make you weak

Cause I never
never
never never never never never never
never
never never never never never
never
never never never never never never
never
never never never never 
never
loved somebody
The way I've loved you.
<3

When I first heard this song I thought about how beautiful it was and how much I wanted to feel that way for someone, but thought I most likely would not. 

After meeting and falling in love with David, and after forgetting about how this song made me feel when I first heard it, I happened to listen to it one night and realized that I felt exactly the way Jenny Lewis describes feeling in this gorgeous song. 

I had even planned to surprise David at our wedding reception by having my dear friend (and bridesmaid), Deb, sing it. Her incredible voice is perfect for it (and don't tell Jenny this, but Deb would put her to shame), but for reasons such as time and stress, it never happened. I'm still bummed about it every time I listen to the song, but it will always hold a special place in my heart because when I hear it, I think of my love and how he changed me in ways I never thought could be altered.

6 comments:

Diana Smith said...

I love Jenny Lewis and this song! Great post and those lyrics are so awesome!

Jayne said...

I always think of my Hubs when i hear that song to! It was almost our first dance, but then we heard Aqualung's "Brighter Than Sunshine," and knew that was the one! :)

Kacie said...

love it :)
i think of TA when i hear Moondance by Van Morrison.

i grew up listening to that song, heck i grew up listening to nothing but Elvis and Van M., so when i had finally met TA.. its was like all those songs were waiting for him to come around.. like they finally found their purpose.

Unknown said...

Diana: Such a beautiful song, right??

Court: That's SO funny that we both wanted to feature this song in our weddings and ended up not! hahaha

Kacie: That is so cool when that happens. For me and Dave, it's Garth Brooks and the Judds. We both grew up listening to country and never really knew anyone else who loved it like we did. I remember the first time I told Dave I liked Garth, I thought he was going to laugh at me but he looked at me surprised and said, "So do I!"

pretty funny. It meant a lot to me because my dad loved Garth Brooks and I know my dad and Dave would have gotten along so well. They are so much alike. It was a precious moment.

Chelsea said...

what a great/sweet post.

Unknown said...

thanks Chelsea!