Tuesday, September 20, 2011

tunes tuesday


Sigur Rós

I honestly don't know if I can muster up the right words to describe Sigur Rós. I'll start off by saying they are an Icelandic rock band with classical elements. If I had to use one word to describe Sigur Rós it would have to be epic. Their albums have a soundtrack quality to them and whenever I'm listening to them I conjure up possible scenes from non-existent films in my head to accompany each song.

When I was driving through Austria and Switzerland this summer, I listened to a lot of Sigur Rós. I listened particularly to the album Takk..., to which I also read an entire book series. It was the perfect music to listen to while taking in the gorgeous and truly staggering sights of the Alps. What I love about their music is the obvious instrumental use. The soft classical music quality mixed with the hard edge of rock intertwines so beautifully and so magically together. It wasn't until I recently discovered that only one of the band members was classically trained that I fully believed that every member of the band must have been. This band is a feast for the ears.

(Interesting fact: some of the songs/albums are sung in a sort of made up language and are meant to be interpreted by the listener)

This kind of music certainly isn't for everyone, but I haven't come across a person who has heard of them and not fallen madly in love with them. I hope you do too. If you haven't heard them before, I envy you for what you are about to experience for the first time.







3 comments:

Kaisha said...

You said it perfectly. I love Sigur Ros :)

arielle elise. said...

Ah, there music is so relaxing! :)

Amber Brownie said...

I love Sigur Ros...I also love your blog! I love your taste; music, movies, food, and overall style!