Saturday, October 15, 2011

Drive, D.I.Y. & Girls' Night

The dear, sweet Rachel of No. 17 was kind enough to invite Kacie and myself for a girls' night last night. We met up at the Fish Company in Los Alamitos for second dinner/coffee/dessert. We were so happy to meet a few new friends (Liz, Mary, Andrea & Alissa) and spend some quality time with these lovely ladies. Unfortunately I didn't snap any photos, but I'm so glad that we had that chance to chat and get to know one another. I'm definitely looking forward to another girls' night soon. And next time I'll order second dinner or dessert instead of sharing a non-meal with Kacie, haha.

Today David and I slept in a little, cuddled, talked, worked out, watched a marathon of Friday Night Lights (it's our new obsession. only Dave would convince me to watch a show about football, BUT it's not all about football, I love it!) ate dinner and just spent the day generally lazing around. I experimented on my nails a bit. I was inspired by some Pinterest photos I've seen of all the wonderous things you can do with nail polish these days. My experimentation wasn't anything crazy or ground breaking, just a little fun.

And since I don't do much with nail polish, of course I ended up choosing the most neutral color in my collection of nail colors. This nail art definitely calls for a bright, loud color. Next time I'm definitely going for the red or the bright mint (that's about the extent of the crazy nail colors in my collection).

{they're not perfect, but it was my first time. 
plus i was impatient to let the polish dry before taking the tape off}

All you need is clear top coat, nail color of choice, tape (next time I'm using painter's tape), and scissors.

1. Cut small strips of tape and lay them diagonally on your nail, making sure to cut the sides if necessary and really pressing the tape to your nail to ensure that the polish won't bleed.

  
2. Carefully paint the exposed nail with two coats.

3. Wait for the nail polish to dry before peeling tape off, then apply a clear top coat.

and voila! homemade nail art.
I'm sure you could do this with two colors by applying a lighter color to the whole nail and letting dry completely (probably overnight) before attempting the first step with a darker color polish. 

What are your favorite nail polish colors?

p.s. I can't get the movie Drive or the soundtrack out of my head. the soundtrack TOTALLY reminds me of my college days watching Party Monster, going to 82 and sipping Andre.
who else is obsessing over these songs?!?



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just love you.

Four Flights said...

the soundtrack is rad. I just wish there were more 'songs' and not so many scores you know? I listened to them on you tube though as I was cleaning the office. they remind me of the 80's. do you think they were going for that with the title font and all? Super 80's if you ask me...

Liesl said...

Great soundtrack and such a fun DIY with your nails...nicely done! Got to love a girl's night too!

Liesl :)

Unknown said...

Rachel: gurrrrrl, i just love you, too.

Andrea: i totally agree. although i really enjoy the score, i'm bummed there aren't more songs. i think they were totally going for that 80's thing, but at the same time there's a been a lot of bands in the past 10 or so years that have been churning out the 80's style electro-pop. i love it.

Unknown said...

Liesl: xoxo!!

Mary LeMonnier said...

oh my, thank you for the music tip!! <3 it <3 it And it was lovely meeting you last night, too!

Unknown said...

i want to do that to my nails! so cute!

Caitlin said...

Siiiigh Ryan Gosling. Love those nails, I'll have to try that!

Victoria Gayle said...

Yesss the soundtrack is great! A real hero is my fav :)

Unknown said...

i'm kinda fixated on this coral nail polish i'm rockin right now.

You reminded me that I'm due for a girls' night

mandyface said...

That's a cool nail design! I'm pretty obsessed with sea green and gold right now...I think I may need to try this!

Unknown said...

Mrs. L!! So good to meet you too! <3

Gwen: Coral sounds pretty!

Mandy: that color combo might become my new favorite.