Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Goodbye to our beloved Mark

I don't know if I will be able to get through this post...


This morning a very dear friend of my family, Mark Allen-Everett, passed away. The cause of his death is still unclear although we know he complained of chest pain. I was expecting to see him today when I got to work (I am currently working part-time for my mom, as was Mark). He text my mom literally moments before his death saying he didn't feel well and that he couldn't come into work, by the time my mom replied to the text he was in an ambulance on his way to the hospital.

I have dealt with a lot of death in my life and even two other deaths in the last three weeks, but this has just torn me apart. These kinds of things don't usually hit me right away. It takes me a while to fully digest it and let it sink in, but this morning when the news was delivered I just broke down and I just can't stop crying. Mark had been my mom's dearest friend since years before I was even born. He was at my parent's wedding, he was there for us when my father died of cancer and most recently he was there for me in so many important ways during my wedding this year. He coordinated the whole event. Not only did he run the show, but he was there for my mom and myself emotionally and supported us through the whole thing. The last time we saw him was last Monday at my brother-in-law's funeral and he looked amazing. He looked like he had lost some weight, he looked healthy and fresh and energized and he supported us and loved us and encouraged us during such a confusing and difficult time. I was so looking forward to working more closely with him and this week was to be the start of that. I had talked about it with my mom several times and I remember being so excited to see him this morning on my way to work.

Mark was a larger than life kind of person. He was one of those people who you had to love because there's no way you couldn't. He was extremely generous, loving, giving, caring, compassionate and kind. His humor was a godsend, especially in times of trouble, and he was so talented in so many ways. He was an incredibly gifted actor, director, decorator and event planner. I am so honored that he was such a huge and special part of not only the happiest day of my life, but also my life in general. So much of it was thanks to him and his talent, friendship, love, compassion, humor and grace. 

My heart goes out to his family. His wonderful husband, Jeff. His parents, his children, his new grandbaby and his close family and friends. I am just so sorry for their huge loss. 

I am just so broken-hearted over this. When someone passes who brought so much love and laughter and compassion to life, who never took life or his loved ones for granted, who loved the Lord with all his heart, who always thought of others before himself, it is a terribly sad and mournful day. My life will not be the same without him in it and I am so thankful for the time that we had with him. He brought so much light and love to our lives and he will be missed so much.

He will always be one of the most amazing people in my life. I will never forget how loving and generous and incredible he has been to me and my family and to countless others. I will miss him deeply, but I look forward to the day I will see him again in heaven.

We love you so deeply and so dearly, Mark <3

 During the reception with Tony and I


 My mom, Judy, with her dearest friend

8 comments:

Liesl said...

This is such a beautiful, heartfelt and honest post, and I just wanted to say, "Thank You" for sharing it with us!

I am sure this is a very difficult time and I know what those times can be like. I know that we don't know each other, outside of blogland, but I am thinking of you and sending my best.

One of my favorite quotes, which you may very well have seen before is...

"Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy."

...I am not a religious person, but I think this quote offers something that is lovely to think about and creates happy hope.

Liesl :)

Anonymous said...

I am in total shock... I just can't believe he's gone! What a loss... he was such a loving and generous man. He will be missed. I'm so sorry, Andrea!

Sandy Godwin

Barbara Chiofalo said...

I also knew Mark very well, I don't know you personally but THANK YOU for posting this!! You nailed him on the HEAD. I also was immediately grief stricken at the news. My prayers are with him and his beautiful family as well. And again, thank you for posting this, its truly beautiful.

marisa said...

I'm so, so very sorry Andrea. I can't imagine what you and your family are going through. I love you and will be praying for you a ton.

Please let me know if you need anything. I'll be there in a flash.

Love you.

<3

Jayne said...

I'm so sorry, my darling friend. Please let me know if there is anything I can do. Love you.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much to all of you for your condolences. Yesterday was one of the saddest days of my life and I am honestly still a mess over it, but I know that Mark would not have wanted us to wallow in grief over him. He would have told us to "put our big girl panties on" and get over it, haha.

He was such a special person in my life and in my family's lives and I am so sad that I will never see him again in this life. He was so special to so many people and I am just grief stricken for his family and dear friends.

Thank you all again for your love and support <3

JMay said...

This makes my heart hurt, so sorry dear. Prayers w/ you & his family!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much. It is greatly appreciated <3