Saturday, December 11, 2010

blue true dream of sky

{Cinque Terre, Italy ~ May 2010}

I've been reading a lot more poetry lately and today I stopped by Barnes & Noble for a few plays and found myself over at the poetry section for a while.


I ended up finding a nice little collection of selected poems by E. E. Cummings and took it home with me.


When thumbing through random poems I stumbled upon the following and read it aloud to myself at least 3 or 4 times. It's absolutely gorgeous. I love that poetry can (and I think should) have several layers that the reader must peel back each time a piece is read so that it urges the reader to continue to find the meaning behind the words. Although this particular piece is rather simple and not as challenging to read, it still says something more to me every time I re-read it.


It makes me feel harmonious.


i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of tress
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes


(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday;this is the birth
day of life and of love and wings:and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)


how should tasting touching hearing seeing 
breathing any-lifted from the no
of all nothing-human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?


(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)
- e. e. cummings

{Cinque Terre, Italy ~ May 2010}

3 comments:

erin m. said...

I LOVE E.E. Cummings! And the last two lines of the poem you shared have been my favorite for a long time. Love love love this!

Anonymous said...

well how about that.
my favorite of all favorites.

-dominic

post script; i own many many e.e. cummings' books and collections if you'd like to borrow or steal any.

Unknown said...

Dominic, I'm beginning to suspect that the reason Dave married me is because I am the female version of you ;)

also, I would LOVE to borrow/steal any of your e.e. cummings' collections!