Friday, December 10, 2010

Shuffle

I'm totally stealing this from Courtney. I've been tagged in similar notes on facebook to do this as well, but I decided to blog it because it'll end up on facebook anyway, right?


So I resisted the urge to skip songs (Madonna, ahem, my guilty pleasure... Little Women: it's instrumental!), but I did not skip! 


The bummer about not skipping is the repeats (John Lennon vs. John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band) and the fact that iTunes shuffle kind of plays the same artists over and over again, or the same kind of vibe of music. Most of the songs on the first list are songs you wanna listen to on a rainy day. Or music I haven't listened to in years (The Mars Volta). Well, you get what I mean...


The Rules:

1) Turn on your MP3 player or music player on your computer. 

(2) Go to SHUFFLE songs mode. 

(3) List the first 15 songs that come up (song title and artist) NO editing/cheating, please. Even if you might skip the song when it comes up or be embarrassed for people to know that it's in your collection, you still must list it.



My List (plus a B-side)
1. Jesus - The Velvet Underground
2. All Along the Watchtower - Bob Dylan
3. Suffused With Love - Sondre Lerche
4. Push - Madonna
5. Drinking as Religion - Mason Jennings
6. Poison Oak - Bright Eyes
7. can't be sure - The Sundays
8. Malmo - The Album Leaf
9. God Knows I'm Good - David Bowie
10. Same Old Story - Garth Brooks
11. We're All Water - John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band
12. Lovable - Sam Cooke
13. take the veil cerpin taxt - The Mars Volta
14. Beautiful Boy (Darling Boy) - John Lennon
15. A Telegram - Little Women soundtrack


The B-Sides
1. Pressed in a Book - The Shins
2. New Years Eve - The Walkmen
3. dear mama - Tupac
4. True Love Waits - Radiohead
5. she loves you - The Beatles
6. Woodland Rock - T. Rex
7. Hey Guys! It's Christmas Time! - Sufjan Stevens
8. O'Come All Ye Faithful - Amy Grant
9. A Sunday Smile - Beirut
10. Idiot Wind - Bob Dylan
11. Brother - Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros
12. Children In Heat - Misfits
13. Carolina - Ben Gibbard
14. Fast As You Can - Fiona Apple
15. New York, New York - Ryan Adams


One More for Good Measure
1. Perfect Blue Buildings - Counting Crows
2. I Wished On The Moon - Billie Holiday
3. Visit - T. Rex
4. Cataract - Sparta
5. Glad to Be Unhappy - Billie Holiday
6. Gay Messiah - Rufus Wainwright
7. There There. (The Boney King of Nowhere.) - Radiohead
8. There's a Doctor - The Who
9. Trouble - Ray LaMontagne
10. Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing - Buffalo Springfield
11. Sweet Virginia - The Rolling Stones
12. Shake Down The Stars - Ella Fitzgerald
13. Our Time - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
14. It Ain't Me Babe - Bob Dylan
15. It Was a Pleasure Then - Nico


I have to admit that I'm not surprised that Bob Dylan showed up in all three lists, since he is my favorite. Although, I AM surprised that neither Neko Case nor Johnny Cash showed up (my other faves!) 


But then again, there are so many favorites that didn't show up. 

7 comments:

Diana Smith said...

You have such awesome music tastes and I can only imagine what you have without the shuffle on!

Jayne said...

I super-heart your list! Oh, Johnny Cash. He's amazing!

Unknown said...

awwww thanks girlies!! you both are awesome.

erin m. said...

Haha. I love these little things, but like you, I feel like it is always so random and not at all an accurate representation of my music taste. But they are still fun to do to see what comes up :) I love that you got some Amy Grant in there.

Unknown said...

Haha, heck ya! That Amy Grant Christmas album is ALWAYS on come the holiday season. I just can't help it!

Nicole said...

love the title of your blog. love your header. l love it love it love it!

Unknown said...

nicole: Thank you so much! You are so sweet :)