Friday, January 7, 2011

encourage(me)nt

In my time of prayer and reading the word this morning I came across a Psalm that almost knocked me over the head with the overwhelming sense that I could have written it word for word after what happened this past year and I just can't help but share it with all of my readers.


I hope that if you ever face struggles and discouragement in terms of the evilness (especially the self-righteous kind) this world can subject you to, if you pray for your enemies and those who deceived you into believing they were your friends, and you need a sense of peace and hope, a confirmation that the Lord will reward your faithfulness, you will find it in reading this Psalm.

Psalm 5:1-12

O Lord, hear me as I pray;
pay attention to my groaning.
Listen to my cry for help, my King
and my God,
for I pray to no one but you.
Listen to my voice in the morning,
Lord.
Each morning I bring my requests
to you and wait expectantly.

O God, you take no pleasure in
wickedness;
you cannot tolerate the sins
of the wicked.
Therefore, the proud may not stand
in your presence,
for you hate all who do evil.
You will destroy those who tell lies.
The Lord detests murderers and
deceivers.

Because of your unfailing love, I can
enter your house;
I will worship at your Temple with
deepest awe.
Lead me in the right path, O Lord,
or my enemies will conquer me.
Make your way plain for me
to follow.

My enemies cannot speak a truthful
word.
Their deepest desire is to destroy 
others.
Their talk is foul, like the stench
from an open grave.
Their tongues are filled with
flattery.
O God, declare them guilty.
Let them be caught in their own traps.
Drive them away because of their 
many sins,
for they have rebelled against you.

But let all who take refuge in you
rejoice;
let them sing joyful praises
forever.
Spread your protection over them,
that all who love your name may
be filled with joy.
For you bless the godly, O Lord;
you surround them with your
shield of love.

{Ashford Castle, Mayo Co., Ireland}

5 comments:

Diana Smith said...

That is really cool! I like that passage!

Sam W. said...

great psalm. thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

isn't it comforting to know the Lord is always there for those that love Him?
And guess what? even though I'm just here "online", I'm there for you too.

Adriana said...

im a new follower! i have been poking around your blog and i really like what you have to say. also, the photo in your header is just stunning

Unknown said...

Diana & Sam: Isn't it incredible!?

Rachel: You are such a dear with such a huge, kind heart. Thank you for your encouragement and your presence.

Adriana: Hi new friend! Thank you so much! I'm really glad you like my blog and I'll be sure to make my way over to yours!!