Thursday, January 20, 2011

take me back

I have been really dwelling in the past lately. My musical past, that is.


When I was a sad, lonely young girl in middle school and high school I buried and lost myself in films and music, much like many socially unaccepted kids that age, I'm sure.


Those were the days of losing myself in Angela Chase (My So-Called Life), Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet films, and a lot of the music my older brother was listening to. Some of the artists I came upon on my own (thanks KIIS FM), but only a few of those ones stuck.


Here's a list of the artist that influenced me the most during those life-shaping years and the songs and/or albums that meant the most to me to which I still listen to over a decade later:




Smashing Pumpkins - tonight, tonight, my blue heaven (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness)
~Can I just say that these two songs might be my favorite songs of all time. I even played my blue heaven at our wedding. And the music video for tonight, tonight? Ugh, genius!
Radiohead - No Surprises (OK Computer)
~This album was so incredibly HUGE for me. I wore that CD out.
Fiona Apple - Paper Bag, The Child Is Gone
~Fiona is my girl. A fellow angry girl who let her bitterness be her poetry. 
Jewel - Don't, What's Simple Is True
~If Fiona fueled my anger & pain, Jewel softened it up. Her first two albums were constantly in rotation for me.
The Cranberries - Dreams, Linger
~The first CD I ever owned, thanks to my big brother. Where would I be without his musical guidance today??
The Sundays - Wild Horses
~This Rolling Stones cover will make you cry.
Mazzy Star - Fade Into You
~I would always put Mazzy Star on when it was gloomy outside and I still do. This song is what I had longingly hoped love would feel like.
Sarah McLachlan - Possession
~Long live Lilith Fair!! I love this woman.
Counting Crows - Colorblind, A Long December
~I honestly only listened to the hits back in the day, but had the albums. It's only been in the last couple of years that I've actually gotten to know the rest of their albums and I must say, I adore them.
Garbage - #1 Crush, Stupid Girl
~If #1 Crush wasn't the ultimate theme for star-crossed, obsessive love then I don't know what was.
Hole - Jennifer's Body
~Yes, I was into Hole. I still listen to the early stuff.
Bjork - Army of Me
~You either get Bjork or you don't. I totally do.
Lisa Loeb - Stay
~She's the cutest, sweetest thing there is. Who doesn't love Stay? And who doesn't love the Ethan Hawke directed video featured at the end of Reality Bites, one of my fave movies of the 90's (but that's a whole separate blog post).


I would make a playlist for you all to listen to these awesome songs, but it's getting kinda late and I hear my hubs snoring.

4 comments:

Kacie said...

ta and i walked back down the aisle to a covered version on The Cranberries - Kiss Me... (it was covered by New Found Glory.. had to have SOME punk in there :) )

Jayne said...

OMG. It's like listening to my own rotation. Not kidding. I need to pull those up for a listen today! <3

Unknown said...

Kacie: Haha, I was worried what my mom would say when I told her I wanted to play a Pumpkins song during our ceremony, but she nearly cried when she listened to it! My grandpa would sing it to my grandma in the car when my mom was a little girl and that's why I wanted to play it. And of course, Billy Corgan singing it is gorg. It's my favorite version.

Court: We are totally a product of the 90's!

Amy G. said...

tonight, tonight, yes.
fade into you, yes.
and stay....i die.
and reality bites. all things good.
sometimes i wish that i was older during the 90s. i would've been perfect.