Friday, May 13, 2011

adjustment week

This week was our first week of rehearsals and boy am I surprised at how exhausted I've been. I honestly did not think I would be this tired... or tired at all. I mean, all we've done this week is one read through with the whole cast and block out the scenes, so a lot of it has been me sitting, watching and taking notes or just standing on stage working the scenes. I mean, it's not like we're really getting into the nitty gritty of it just yet. I hope that my body just adjusts to my new schedule so that I won't be so pooped anymore and so that when the rehearsals really start to get grueling I'll be ready for it.
Here's a look at what my weeks will look like for the next month: 
On Monday, Wednesday and Fridays I work out with Lauren in the morning, go to work (aka my mom's house to shower, get dressed and organize her file cabinets), then I read The Hiding Place and/or go over my dialect and lines, then I leave around 5ish to make the long drive to Costa Mesa in evening traffic to rehearsal at 6:30, get done anywhere between 10:30 and 11:30 pm, drive home, go to bed.
(with the exception of today. I really needed to catch up on my reading so I took the day off instead)
On Tuesdays and Thursdays I wake up, clean the house, Zumba, make meals for the week, read or study my lines/dialect if I have time, go to rehearsal, etc.
Saturdays and Sundays I spend time with my hubs since I literally only see him when I sleep during the week and we just relax, I grocery shop, plan the meals for the week and cook.
I'll admit, I've already been enjoying this so much. It's great to see some familiar faces again and to work with Sue (the director) and Marianne (Corrie) and Deb (Betsie) again. It's like being back at school only so much better because I don't have to worry about my classes. I'm loving it. I just love watching what happens when you throw a group of people together with all of their creativity and their nuances and personalities and just shake 'em up. Sometimes it's really frustrating and annoying and you wanna strangle someone, sometimes it's extremely emotional, hilarious, exhausting, but in the end it's always so rewarding. 
Last night we blocked out a short scene and as I sat there and watched the actors, before we even work on all of their characters' layers and their performances, I nearly cried. It's really not that easy to make me cry while watching a play, so that's sayin' something. This show is going to be so powerful and so emotional and so beautiful. I can't wait to see how it all comes together.
Here are a few snapshots I've gotten so far.
{I love these women (Sue and Marianne)}



{A skeleton of a set}

{Oh and that's me waking up from Dave's 9am text. Yes, 9am! I was so exhausted!}


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

loved reading this...I felt like I was there. Sounds like a lot of hard work and a lot of fun, An!

x
Mar

Unknown said...

Awww, thanks MarMar <3

grey rose (they/them) said...

whew! i am tired just reading this post.
so much excitement-and what an amazing production! have fun!
xo

Adrian said...

Sounds tiring but like so much fun! And I've been thinking about trying Zumba but I have no rhythm so I'm sure I would just be laughing at myself the whole time. :)