Friday, June 17, 2011

fabulous films friday


It's Friday everyone and you know what that means: Fabulous Films Friday time!

This week I chose a film that I actually almost didn't choose.
I wasn't sure whether I should add this film to the list, especially so early on because I know that there really aren't very many people out there (people that I know, at least) who have seen and like this film.

I wouldn't even recommend it to anyone who isn't a film lover, but it's been in my top 5 favorite films list for a long time now and I thought that now is as good a time as any to break it out.

Are you curious yet?

I give you...

Buffalo '66


Of all the independent films that I watched during my teen years, this one stuck with me the most. I saw it soon after it was made back in 1998. I was about 14 or 15 at the time and it must have left quite an impression on me because when I watch it now I realize that Billy, the main character, played by Vincent Gallo is pretty much a mash up of all of my ex-boyfriends, and all the guys I was attracted to before David. I watch the film now and find it funny how I never realized at the time why things never work out with any of the doofuses I was attracted to back in high school and college. I mean, the answer is so clear NOW, hahaha.

Anyway, back to the film. Vincent Gallo not only starred as Billy, but he wrote, directed and even composed most of the music for the film. It was his directorial debut. Gallo wrote the film as somewhat of an autobiography. I don't know how much of it is true to life, but I can imagine he had a dysfunctional family to base the film on... I mean, he had to.

The plot goes as such: Billy is released from prison for a crime he did not commit, lies to his extremely dysfunctional parents about his whereabouts for the last few years and as such is "forced" to kidnap Ricci's character in order to continue his ruse. All the while Ricci's character is falling for him in the midst of Billy struggling to face his own issues of depression and revenge.

Though it's described as a comedy/drama, I like to refer to it as somewhat of a black comedy. I find humor in most of the scenes and situations that some might not find funny, though there are some very serious moments that make you consider how crazy and sad and lonely people can be.

I love the supporting cast as well. Even Christina Ricci makes me believe her sometimes, thanks due to Gallo, I'm sure. If you're interested in quirky, odd dramadies, this is a film for you.

But don't say I didn't warn you. There is a lot of language, brief nudity, verbal abuse and images of homicide. It ain't the prettiest film I've seen, but it is one of the interesting ones... especially if you've got a thing for depressed, lonely, verbally abusive guys with long hair and skinny jeans.







3 comments:

bk said...

DUDE!! this is one of my favorite movies ever! so many of my friends hate it and i'm so glad to see that you like it!

Denise said...

hey hun! :) sounds like an interesting movie, tho i may be giving it a miss because of your 'warning'! i dunno! i guess i'll find out a bit more about it first... i tend to do best with films like Tangled... (my movie and music taste never left the pre teen years) thanks for the review though, i would have never heard of this movie otherwise. have a great weekend.x

Jazzy E (Hivenn) said...

The styling alone looks amazing. x hivenn