Friday, June 24, 2011

fabulous films friday


I promise that this week's installment of Fabulous Films Friday will be better than last week. I think only one of you knew what film I was referring to last week and there were very few comments, which is totally fine and per expected.

This week is dedicated to a film I have never stopped loving since I first saw it in the theaters all by myself. I believe I was 15 or 16 and it was the first time I had ever gone to the movies alone. It was the beginning of a beautiful and private relationship I have with movie watching all alone. I don't know if it's because I can take it all in without distractions, or without noise or talking from the person next to me, or what, but I love absorbing a film without any interruptions.

I have a feeling some of you are gonna either love this film or hate it, though I've never come across a person who hates it... well they may have just not told me they did. The reason I preface it by saying you may hate it is because it is a downer. It's pretty hilarious, I think, but it definitely makes the viewer feel uncomfortable and sad at times. Mostly I think it's funny, though.

Week four of Fabulous Films Friday presents:

American Beauty


It's raw. 
It's ugly. 
It's beautiful. 
It's extremely amusing. 
It's depressing. It's seductive. It's heartbreaking.

Let's just start off talking about the acting. I mean, the performances in this film are STELLAR. Absolutely incredible, engrossing and poignant. Every single character is completely and utterly fleshed out by each and every talented actor. It's certainly one of my favorite casts in a film. I really could go on and on, but this movie needs to be seen and so I'll stop there.

As for the direction, I can't help but mention that Sam Mendes is among my list of favorite directors. This was his feature film debut and solidified his place in the industry. His collaboration with cinematographer Conrad Hall creates such a beautiful contrast of tension and a peaceful beauty.

The screenplay, written by Alan Ball, was originally intended as a play and it's pretty obvious. I've often gravitated towards films that were once plays or intended to be one. Probably because of how important characterization and relationship is to a successful theatrical play, and it's usually very evident in the feature film.

There are so many theories out there on the theme of the film and what it is trying to convince it's audience. Not even Mendes was completely sure of what Ball was trying to say when he wrote it. He claimed that every time he read the script it seemed to say something different. I could go into my thoughts and interpretation of the film, but I honestly don't want to ruin it for anyone. I want you to watch it and tell me what you think. You can certainly email me and we can start up a discussion if you'd like!

Most of all, I just think you should watch this film. There is violence, language, sexually suggestive scenes and some drug use, so if any of those are a problem for you then I understand.

Academy Awards: The film won Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor (Spacey), Best Original Screenplay, and Best Cinematographer

"Never underestimate the power of denial." - Ricky








~Andrea~

6 comments:

Caitlin said...

I LOVED "American Beauty." Not to give too much away but I almost cried at the part at the end with the military-guy neighbor and Kevin Spacey...such a raw moment.

When I see or think of the plastic bag I think of the Family Guy spoof, where Peter is filming a plastic bag talking about beauty, and it jumps to God in heaven saying, "It's just trash! Do you know how complicated your circulatory system is?!" hehe :)

Great movie to share!

Carly Anne said...

Oh man. You've tackled one of my favs today. American Beauty is an absolute masterpiece. I may have to settle in with a bottle of wine tonight and watch it!

Unknown said...

Ahhh, I'm so glad I hit a home run with this week's addition!

@Caitlin, yeah, that last moment is so... ahhh, just totally raw, like you said. i also think of that family guy moment hahaha

@Carly Anne, that sounds like an AWESOME plan!!

Mary Nevin said...

this movie is so powerful. i remember seeing it for the first time when i was probably a bit to young to comprehend the complexity but i loved it then and love it now. i haven't seen it in awhile but just added it to my netflix :)

Nancy Tracy said...

Guess I'm your haystack needle. Never liked this movie despite its terrific pedigree. The world view is just too disturbing for me. Love your blog, though, if that counts :).

Jessica said...

i love this movie.