Thursday, June 2, 2011

Meet Cosmo, formerly known as Merle (Haggard)

If you are a regular reader of my blog, you will know that Bogart (our cat) is like my baby. He's moody and cute and hilarious and mischievous. He loves to cuddle, but only on his time and he thinks this is his house and we just live in it... but I still love him.

David really wanted to get a bird and as much as I was hesitant because of my lil Bogie, I gave in when we actually visited an exotic bird shop on Monday when we met our newest member of the family, Cosmo, a 3 month old cockatiel.




We initially named him Merle, as in Merle Haggard, but on Tuesday when I was cleaning the house I put Creedence Clearwater Revival on our record player and the bird went nuts. I mean, would not shut up. He especially loved the more upbeat songs. Between songs or record flipping, he got quiet. I took a few videos of it because it was so funny and after talking it over with Dave, we decided that his new name should be Cosmo (if you're a fan of CCR, you would know that one of their albums is Cosmo's Factory) because we all love CCR and we love Cosmo Kramer on Seinfeld. So that was it, he's now Cosmo.



I made this little video of Bogart and Cosmo meeting for the first time. I hope you enjoy it.
Please press pause immediately after pressing play in order to let the video load :)
Bogart & Cosmo from Andrea Carpenter-Heffernan on Vimeo.
Bogart (our cat) meets Cosmo (our new bird) for the first time...

Music by The White Stripes


Here is also a video of Cosmo singing along to Creedence. 

11 comments:

Amy @ AGirlCalledBeloved said...

Oh I love cockatiels! I used to have one. They are such sweet pets!
I love that you named him Cosmo! Too cute!

Unknown said...

That is awesome! You'll have to see what other music he loves to sing to. How does your cat like him?

Gaby said...

You are brave! I used to have a cat and a hamster and it always made me nervous. But they look pretty funny together, i like the singing :)

Alli (One Pearl Button) said...

Aw, so cute!! Congrats on the new member of the family; I love his name. :)

S and O said...

Awwww what a cute little birdy! And I just love the name :)
xoxo
Olivia

LifestyleBohemia said...

Adorable! I love me cat so much too, but sadly would never be able to trust her around a bird.

Have a great weekend!
xx

Ashley Slater said...

aw, how cute! I could never have birds though because for some reason every bird I have ever met has bit me. they just don't like me very much!

also, about the dog park: your poor little puppy! I know what you mean about the big dogs not knowing their own strength, some guy was petting Bella over the fence separating the two dog parks and his german shepherd puppy jumped up on the fence and popped bella in the nose and she cried, so pathetic! but his dog was just trying to say hi!

Unknown said...

@Amylou: Hahaha, thanks!

@Sam: Ya I thought of that too! Bogart is doing alright so far. I think he's more curious than anything else.

@Gaby: I was definitely worried about it at first. I think he's more afraid of the bird than the bird is afraid of him, HA HA!

@Alli: Thanks!!

@Olivia: Thank you :)

@Joanna: I am still worried about the new "friendship" haha, I'll definitely keep everyone posted!

@Ashley: I'm sorry birdies like to bite you! That is no fun :(

About the dog park: I don't actually have a puppy. I think you might have thought of someone else :)

Noel J Hadley said...

Nice, a bird that likes John Fogerty. Sounds like my kind of pet.

Caitlin said...

Oh man...I am kind of scared of domestic birds since my mom's ex-fiance's parrot attacked me and bit my ear and lip :( Are cockatiels generally well-tempered?

I love the text conversation, btw, haha!

Unknown said...

@Noel, that's right!

@Caitlin, that is scary! From what I've heard they are pretty sweet birds.

@Janee, HA HA HA that is so funny!