Friday, August 12, 2011

fabulous films friday


Fabulous Films Friday is back!!

I know it's been quite a while, but I've been a jet setting traveling machine and thus, FFF has suffered. 
I apologize to the two or three of you who actually like FFF (hahaha).

So in honor of my husband David's birthday today (see previous post), this week's feature will be his favorite film:

Jeremiah Johnson


I am going to assume that most of you, if not all of you, have not seen this film.
Well let me just tell you right up front, it is a dude's film. More specifically, it's a man's film.

But I LOVE it.

Let's start with the obvious reasons: Robert Redford and his dreaminess. 
I belong to that possibly rare breed of women who find rugged men with beards and dirty, calloused hands incredibly sexy. I'll be honest, I love the clean cut, suit (specifically a vintage Mad Men style man) any day of the week, but there's just something about the rough and tumble man's man that is the end all, be all.

Also, any film that includes nature as a part of the cast is good in my book. It doesn't even have to be a great film and I'll love it just because I love to look at the scenery, but this film just so happens to be pretty rad.

The film is set in the mid 19th century, after the Mexican War, in the Rockies. Jeremiah Johnson, a veteran of said war, decides to leave his life as he knows it and become a mountain man without any prior experience. Throughout the film he meets a few interesting characters who sort of help him learn to assimilate to life in harsh conditions, physically and emotionally. 

It's basically the story of man learning to survive in the wild. Enough said, right?

Directed by Sydney Pollack... need I say more?

Just see it, you won't regret it. And even if you do, at least you can say that you've seen what I consider a classic and you can just gawk at the dreamboatness of Redford (if you're female) or enjoy the action and violence of watching a man fight for his life against his fellow man, the wild and the elements (if you're male). 








2 comments:

grey rose (they/them) said...

hallelujah.
man's film indeed. and a fine one!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad someone else has seen it and loved it!!