Friday, September 30, 2011

films friday


Memoirs of a Geisha

When I think of this film the first thing that comes to my mind is how absolutely visually stunning it is. It is very much a feast for the eyes. Any artist can't help but be mesmerized by the richness and depth of color. The cinematography is outstanding and even earned an Oscar. The score is very much a dream as well and the acting is sublime.

I haven't actually read the book. In fact, I've had the book in my possession since before the film was released, and though I have begun to read it several times, I've never gotten past the fourth chapter. There is no real reason that I haven't read it other than random things getting in my way. The first four chapters are beautiful in that when I read it I see it so clear and so crisp. I want to read more, but for one reason or another I always get interrupted and then I have to start all over again. I really need to make it a goal to read it and not let anything get in my way.

But in a way I am glad that I didn't read it before I saw the film because I'm sure the book is better (they always are) and I might have been disappointed when I saw the film for the first time.

Though there was definitely some controversy surrounding the book and as well as the film, none of that matters to me. What matters to me are the themes. For me there seem to be among the themes of this film two that stand out very much from the rest, Loss and Art:

"At the temple there is a poem called 'Loss' carved into the stone. It has three words, but the poet has scratched them out. You cannot read loss, only feel it."

"We create another secret world, a place only of beauty. The very word 'Geisha' means 'Artist' and to be a geisha is to be judged as a moving work of art."

Maybe these themes stand out so strongly to me from the rest because I've felt a lot of loss in my life and with that knowledge of loss I have been more able to appreciate the art that surrounds us and the beauty that can come from and out of pain.

This simply is a gorgeous film and shouldn't be missed. This film truly is a moving work of art.

If you have seen this film or if you will, what are your thoughts??





2 comments:

Caitlin said...

The book and the movie are super depressing, but I thought the movie was really well done. I remember really enjoying the book too. Good choice :)

Unknown said...

yeah, you're right, this film is pretty depressing, but it's so gorgeous!