Thursday, January 12, 2012

Jesus > Religion

I'm usually not a fan of "spoken word".
Being an artist (I still feel weird referring to myself as an artist) you'd think I'd naturally love "spoken word", but I just don't. It's kinda like how I studied/adore theatre, but I hate musicals... but that's a whole different topic I won't get into right now.

So naturally when I saw Rachel's post that featured a spoken word video on Jesus > Religion (as well as all over my facebook feed), I was slightly hesitant to watch only because of the medium. But I'm not so close minded that I won't take 4 minutes out of my morning to watch it.

Woah. Water welled up my eyes.
This man speaks the truth.

In the past (and even sometimes today) I have often struggled with my "religion".
It wasn't until I let myself have a real relationship with Jesus and learn what He truly is all about that I realized the vast difference between Christ and "Christianity"*.
There have been so many people in my life that I care about who have rejected Christ because of the pain the church has subjected them to and it breaks my heart because they won't let themselves know the redeeming and unfailing love that is offered to them. I've been in their shoes. I've been hurt badly by the church on more than one occasion, so I can understand their rejection and trepidation.

And who's fault is that? It's the church's fault. Religion's... not Christ's.
And I know that it breaks His heart infinitely more.

I really can't say it better than this dude, so please watch. These words are power.



*I used quotes in "Christianity" here because I am referring to the "Christians" who don't truly understand or follow Christ, but use religion to gain power and allow themselves to be blinded in self-righteousness.

5 comments:

Caitlin said...

LOVE this. I'm not religious at all but I appreciate people using their faith to promote good will and helping people as opposed to self-righteousness and bigotry. Thanks for sharing :) <3

Unknown said...

Caitlin: Thank you SO much for this comment. I'm so happy that you loved it and that it spoke to you. THANK YOU! <3

Katy said...

Yeah my husband and I watched this video today too. I think the part that stood out most to me was the part about if we would let Jesus into our churches today. So true. Amazing video.

BronsonBloopers said...

Thank you for sharing this video. It was exactly what I needed to hear...that someone out there feels the same way as me right now. Have a nice 3 day weekend!

http://bronsonbloopers.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Katy & Bronson: i'm so happy that this video touched you!