Saturday, October 24, 2009

How many wedding blogs can one person possibly look at without going crazy?

You know, this wedding planning stuff is a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. Even though we're not in the trenches yet, we're marching towards them and they are definitely coming closer into view.

The fact that I am pretty much a detail oriented perfectionist reeeaaally doesn't help the matter. If I see something I like and there's a small little element to it that makes me cringe or crinkle my nose in disapproval, I throw the whole thing out. I have a serious problem. In life, I feel like the older I get, the more laid back I become, but when it comes to anything that has to do with creating something: a meal or a cake, a craft project, a painting, a party, etc. I become obsessed. I cannot stop until it is just right. Let alone a wedding, an event I have no experience in whatsoever besides watching my mom plan and decorate them, is a whole other story. A story on the scale of The Lord of the Rings or Star Wars (in my life, that is).

It's just that I want it to be as close to perfection as it can possibly get. Knowing that it never will be, freaks me out. I am certainly not blind to the fact that this circus of an event will definitely NOT go off without a (or several) hitch(es), it's just that when it's that one day in your life when almost everyone you know (and some people you're meeting for the first time) are there to celebrate you and your groom and you're throwing this huge soiree for your guests to enjoy, you just wanna give 'em what they came for. You want them to walk out of there raving about what a fabulous party they're so sad to leave.

And then I see these wedding shows where they've hired 80 people just to set up the reception on the day of (are you kidding me David Tutera?), and I frequent these blogs that give you inspirations and ideas and tips and advice, but then it becomes overwhelming and I think of all the things that can and just might go wrong.

Okay, now I'm just ranting. In all honesty, I'm really excited for the wedding. I think it will be beautiful and fun. We're playing the kind of music we want. We have a fabulous photographer and videographer. We're getting a gorgeous cake and I have my dream cake toppers. I have a vision for the reception tables that my mom is totally making happen. I'm such a fortunate woman. I am getting much more than I ever imagined or asked for.

I just want everyone to love it and have a great time... and most of all, I want David and I to have the best time of our lives without me worrying about every single, stupid little detail.

No comments: