Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thankful on Paper: Week Two

It's the second week of Being Thankful On Paper and I'm pretty excited for this week's installment.

This week I am thankful for my dear friend, Amara.

First of all, I have known Amara for quite a few years now, I really don't know how many and I couldn't pin point the first time we met, but what matters most is that we are still close and in the past couple of years we have grown so much closer.

Amara is the reason why I am married to David. She and Dave have been great friends since high school. If it weren't for her introducing us that fateful night or for her encouragement of our courtship, who knows where we'd be!

But that's not the only reason why I am thankful for her or why we grew so much closer since I met Dave. Amara is one of those rare people (like Alli in my previous TOP post) who are sincerely genuine, loyal, loving and compassionate. When she listens to you, she doesn't just wait for her turn to talk, she listens with intention and heartfelt concern and empathy. She is loving, generous, hilarious, fun and so down to earth.

Amara was not only one of my bridesmaids in my wedding, but she was there for me in so many ways during the stressful, crazy, joyous, fun and annoying time of wedding planning. She would call, text or email me on a regular basis to ask if I needed anything. If I needed support, help or just an ear to hear me complain, she was there. 

Side note: 
We even spent part of our honeymoon with her dear bf, Ben, in London. He showed us all around the city every day we were there and even took us to his hometown in the outskirts of London. He introduced us to Indian food, delicious cider beer and the wonder and amazement that is the UK, among many other things. We had such a great time and got to know Ben so much more and I am so thankful for that opportunity we had. Since Amara is such a dear friend to both Dave and I, it was so special for us to get to know and love Ben so much more.
~

Not only was that time we spent leading up to the wedding so important for our friendship and helped us grow even closer, but we continued to grow close after the wedding. She would come over to our place and hang out, most of the time help me cook dinner or bake some treats. There were so many awesome talks and laughs we had in my little kitchen and on the very couch I am sitting on right now. During some really difficult times that recently occurred (and to which I've alluded to in previous posts) within my family, she was one of the only few friends of mine who reached out to me and expressed their concern or even just simply listened. I am so thankful for my sweet Mar Mar!

Since Amara moved to London to go to school and also to be closer to Ben this Summer I have really missed those times and it has certainly not been the same without her. I so wish she could still be here, but I am so happy for her and this new chapter of her life. I admire her for following her heart wherever it has led her, even across the pond! I can't wait for the day I will see her and Ben again.

I am so thankful that God blessed me with such an amazing friend in Amara. She is loved and missed beyond measure!

So thank you, Amara, for being the wonderful, beautiful, sincere and amazing you that you are <3

8 comments:

grey rose (they/them) said...

what a wonderful friend! extra special that she's a link to the beginning of your relationship with your hubby:)
thanks for sharing!
xo

Kacie said...

amazing pictures!
i love friends who make you better and who enrich your life with goodness.

Sandra said...

Yay for an awesome friend!

Amber said...

she sounds like an awesome friend! and love that she's the beginning link to your lifetime love....

Amy H. said...

Friends can be a dime a dozen a true friend through and through come are rare gems. I am so happy for you and your friendship, and all the smiles it has given your life.

Nothing like a good listener.
Smooches,
Amy

Stephanie said...

Awwh! That is such a touching story. Yay for great friends!

Melissa said...

Awesome pictures, Friends are always a good thing to be grateful for.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful post and a beautiful friend.
Thanks for sharing :-)