Sunday, May 8, 2011

Only Love

I didn't get to see my mom today, on Mother's Day, because Dave and I were bouncing around at different homes to wish his mom and both of his grandmas a Happy Mother's Day. My family went out to lunch and didn't get home until after Dave and I had already left Long Beach so I didn't get the chance to wish her a wonderful day in person (even though I will be able to give her her gift tomorrow), but I did want to write just a little bit about how much she has meant to me.
There really is no blog post big enough to encapsulate the love and gratitude I have for my amazing, beautiful, courageous, strong and loving mama.
I come from a line of strong women. My grandma was fierce, to say the least. My sister definitely takes after my grandma (as do I) and my mom has always amazed me with her huge capacity to love and give and understand. 
Each of these women have struggled through some pretty gnarly life circumstances. They each were in abusive relationships at one point in their lives. They each stood up for themselves and grew (are growing) stronger in so many ways. They each have dealt with death on a huge level. They each have been taken advantage of, stolen from, and gossiped heavily about. But what is so amazing is that after (or maybe because of) all of that, they each have had such a huge capacity to love, to give, to forgive. They have all raised children who consumed their life and whom they have given up so much for. They each have a strength I won't even try to describe.
But my mama? Well, if I could choose one word to describe her it would be a major toss up between generous and resilient. She is a warrior with a huge heart. She, like my sister and grandmother, has been through the ringer at least a few times and yet she holds herself with such grace, such strength, such love and such beauty.
I admire my mama more than any other woman on earth because of what she has been through, how much she has loved and given, and how she has always taken the darkness and turned it into light.
She has taken care of me and given up so much for me, even, if not especially, when I deserve it the least. And what does she expect in return? Only Love.
I could go on and on.
Growing up with her she listened to a lot of The Judds and Wynonna Judd. There are quite a few songs by Wynonna that really remind me of my mama, but I think the one that stands out the most is Only Love.


I have sailed a boat or two
Out on the wild blue
Yonder to dreams that rarely come true
As far as I can see
From the island of green
I can put my trust in just one thing

And only love sails straight from the harbor
And only love will lead us to the other shore
Out of all the flags I've flown
One flies high and stands alone
Only love

Peaceful waters, raging sea
It's all the same to me
I can close my eyes and still be free
When the waves come crashing down 
And the thunder rolls around
I can feel my feet on solid ground

And only love sails straight from the harbor
And only love will lead us to the other shore
Out of all the flags I've flown
One flies high and stands alone
Only love



{me and my mama}






{with my sister and brothers}


{mom and dad on their wedding day}




{with Jeff}


 {with Dave’s parents}

{with Dave’s grandma Jean}

 {with Dave’s grandma Carrie and grandpa Chuck}



6 comments:

Monique said...

Your mother is so beautiful. I see where you get it from. I love all these old photos. What an amazing tribute to your mom. Glad you had a great day!

Unknown said...

Monique: Oh you are so kind and sweet, thank you!!

grey rose (they/them) said...

beautiful post-such a sweet mama!

Anonymous said...

I love Judy!

This was beautiful, An. I haven't known your ma for very long, but I see all the things you have shown here.

She's amazing, and I see where you get it from

;-)

<3
Mar

ilene @ muchloveilly said...

such a sweet post!!! :)

Unknown said...

@Hannah, thanks love!

@Amara, you are beautiful/wonderful/genuine/lovely and loved <3<3<3

@Ilene, thank you!