Friday, May 27, 2011

yes, i am an introvert

I saw this post over at Love and Photographs and I knew immediately that I had to reblog this. I have always been an introvert and have always struggled with feeling different from most everyone else, especially those super social butterflies, people pleasers and those (sometimes obviously phony) happy people who laugh (seemingly inauthentically) and act differently in crowds than in very small groups.
Many people have misjudged me for being rude or intimidating or unfriendly simply because I am an introvert. Hopefully, if you’re not an introvert, you’ll begin to understand those of us who aren’t just like you by reading this. 

It's so funny how each of these describe me practically to a T.

I do really love animals, though, as I'm sure most introverts do. I sometimes love them more than I love people. Here I am with Noel and Sarah's awesome dogs, Luther (the hound) and Hope (the lab). Noel shot this of me yesterday while taking my head shots (I edited the photo).



Myth #1 – Introverts don’t like to talk.
This is not true. Introverts just don’t talk unless they have something to say. They hate small talk. Get an introvert talking about something they are interested in, and they won’t shut up for days. 

Myth #2 – Introverts are shy.
Shyness has nothing to do with being an Introvert. Introverts are not necessarily afraid of people. What they need is a reason to interact. They don’t interact for the sake of interacting. If you want to talk to an Introvert, just start talking. Don’t worry about being polite. 

Myth #3 – Introverts are rude.
Introverts often don’t see a reason for beating around the bush with social pleasantries. They want everyone to just be real and honest. Unfortunately, this is not acceptable in most settings, so Introverts can feel a lot of pressure to fit in, which they find exhausting. 

Myth #4 – Introverts don’t like people.
On the contrary, Introverts intensely value the few friends they have. They can count their close friends on one hand. If you are lucky enough for an introvert to consider you a friend, you probably have a loyal ally for life. Once you have earned their respect as being a person of substance, you’re in. 

Myth #5 – Introverts don’t like to go out in public.
Nonsense. Introverts just don’t like to go out in public FOR AS LONG. They also like to avoid the complications that are involved in public activities. They take in data and experiences very quickly, and as a result, don’t need to be there for long to “get it.” They’re ready to go home, recharge, and process it all. In fact, recharging is absolutely crucial for Introverts. 

Myth #6 – Introverts always want to be alone.
Introverts are perfectly comfortable with their own thoughts. They think a lot. They daydream. They like to have problems to work on, puzzles to solve. But they can also get incredibly lonely if they don’t have anyone to share their discoveries with. They crave an authentic and sincere connection with ONE PERSON at a time. 

Myth #7 – Introverts are weird.
Introverts are often individualists. They don’t follow the crowd. They’d prefer to be valued for their novel ways of living. They think for themselves and because of that, they often challenge the norm. They don’t make most decisions based on what is popular or trendy.

Myth #8 – Introverts are aloof nerds.
Introverts are people who primarily look inward, paying close attention to their thoughts and emotions. It’s not that they are incapable of paying attention to what is going on around them, it’s just that their inner world is much more stimulating and rewarding to them. 

Myth #9 – Introverts don’t know how to relax and have fun.
Introverts typically relax at home or in nature, not in busy public places. Introverts are not thrill seekers and adrenaline junkies. If there is too much talking and noise going on, they shut down. Their brains are too sensitive to the neurotransmitter called Dopamine. Introverts and Extroverts have different dominant neuro-pathways. Just look it up. 

Myth #10 – Introverts can fix themselves and become Extroverts.
A world without Introverts would be a world with few scientists, musicians, artists, poets, filmmakers, doctors, mathematicians, writers, and philosophers. That being said, there are still plenty of techniques an Extrovert can learn in order to interact with Introverts. (Yes, I reversed these two terms on purpose to show you how biased our society is.) Introverts cannot “fix themselves” and deserve respect for their natural temperament and contributions to the human race. In fact, one study (Silverman, 1986) showed that the percentage of Introverts increases with IQ.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
So what did we learn here people? 
Introverts are just as normal as you extroverts who have billions of friends and love being out and about with people! And that we are trying to survive in an extrovert world... so be nice to us!!
Oh, and hopefully my friends now realize I really do love them...I am just a really awesome introvert!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I learned a lot!
Also-I learned your awfully pretty.....LOVE that picture of you!

Megane said...

preach it sister! this is so accurate! i too, am an introvert, and have often felt alienated for being a homebody.

Diana Smith said...

I am not an introvert, but I totally understand! I hate those people who are so fake and try so hard to be the center of attention in crowds. Just be yourself!! I accept you and your introvertness!! :)

Kristi P said...

Oh my gosh. This is me, too. I love reading about this kind of stuff because it helps me not feel so guilty about things that are natural for me. Hooray for introverts! Also, did you see my blog post about my personality type? If you've never taken the type of test I did, you might find it interesting to try. :)

Anonymous said...

I would have not picked you for an introvert!
Love this... I can be very introverted at times, and feel lots of pressure to do the social butterfly thing - only, I don't think I do it very well!
Lovely to get to know who you are a little more!
xx

♥ CheChe said...

haha. I am an introvert in my ways and thinking but I respond to social settings with the extrovert tendencies. Instead of being uncomfortable and awkward in approaching a stranger I take a deep breath and introduce myself. I've always been this way so it just comes naturally now I guess. But I do get bored in social environments where there is shallow and dull conversation. I love to hear passionate people speak and engage in conversations of substance. But at the same time I cannot just shutup I have to contribute my distaste or lack of interest.

I don't know what I am but I know that my closest friend is an introvert and I love her to pieces and she is exactly like what you described. And she does not need to change at all. Introverts make the world go round! :)

hahaha
sorry for my blabbing..

♥cheche

http://savedthrulove.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Thanks to all of you lovely ladies for your kind comments. Believe me, they do not go unnoticed!! <3<3<3

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness.
I think I'm an introvert.
I picked me for an extrovert but actually....
I think I've been living an assumption.
Trying to be 'miss social' but really im most comfortable with my own thoughts.
And you...I love you just the way you are.
I barely know you but we seem to click and I love that! You're a gem Andrea...I think you're amazing!
xxx

Anonymous said...

i too am an introvert. do you know your meyer's briggs personality profile? i'm infj. these little facts about introversion are so helpful!

and YOU are beautiful.

Unknown said...

@Stacy, I think you are amazing as well, and I mean it! I really feel that you are a genuinely kind and loving person and I appreciate that SO MUCH!!

@Rain, I should really take that personality profile, thanks for letting me know about it!

you are beautiful as well my dear. inside AND out!

Liesl said...

Very interesting post and I actually saw this post over on http://landhcarter.blogspot.com, so, it looks like it is going around! :)

My fiance is more of an introvert at times and can be quiet, more of an observer, as is my younger sister and I think people often think the same thing you describe for those same reasons, but I have always thought they might just be shy or not as outgoing!

Thank you for posting this, minus the not so nice comment you got from doing so that you speak of in the following post...I often think I am introverted at the core, but am able to be extraverted...I suppose I prefer to keep to myself, but others would never guess it! :)

Liesl :)

Anonymous said...

love this! i'm the same way and was just thinking the other day how hard it is to relate to extroverts some times. those people with no inner dialogue? it's nice to know others feel this way and that we aren't "weird" or anything.

Unknown said...

@Liesl, I totally think that there are introverts out there who don't even realize it. Some of them are just not as gun ho introverted as most of us, but they're there!

@Otillie, I SO know what you mean! <3