Friday, June 10, 2011

fabulous films friday


Hello All!
I hope you enjoyed my very first and most recent edition of Fabulous Films Friday where I featured the irrevocably magical and beautiful film Amélie. If you missed it you can check it out here and read more about what Fabulous Films Friday is all about.

This week I chose to feature another of my most favorite films of all time, 
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind


This film is very special to my heart. I vividly remember wanting to see it, not only because Kate Winslet is one of my top three favorite actresses (Meryl Streep and Cate Blanchett are also among those three), but because the posters, trailers and hype made it seem very interesting and different than most films out there. I also vividly remember the day I actually saw it. I went with my friend, Brienne, and it was the same year that I broke up with my first love. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't totally destroyed by the time the credits rolled. My nose was dripping, tears rolled down my eyes and questions quickly filled my brain.

I loved the film so much that I even used it as the subject of an essay I wrote for my creative writing class in college. I will probably be prefacing every Fabulous Films Friday post with this, but I'll just say that if you haven't seen Eternal Sunshine, you need to. 

Kate Winslet has countless memorable performances, but this one is among my favorites. And Jim Carrey? Never better. Enough said. The supporting cast is pretty stellar as well with their own interesting and important arcs that really add depth and dimension to the story.

Before I continue, I must warn you that there is definitely language, minor drug use and some slight sexual content. I am aware that not everyone is comfortable watching a film with one or all of those things, so don't say I didn't warn you (in fact, most of the films that I will be featuring probably aren't ones I could recommend for everyone due to some subject manner).

Now that that is out of the way I will continue with my feelings on this particular film.

The basic premise of the plot goes as such: Boy meets girl, boy gets attached, girl gets scared and bored, boy and girl break up, girl erases boy from her memory, boy finds out, boy goes on his own journey of revenge and elimination of girl. The film is anything but linear with a collage of memories and moments of a tumultuous and passionate affair between lovers.

The question that the film poses is this: If technology allowed and if you were suffering from a barrage of memories that connected you so deeply to someone you once loved, or still love, and you can't seem to surface from the pain you are drowning in, would you erase that person, along with any and all memories associated with said person (good or bad) from your mind?

Your answer might change by the conclusion of the film.

What I love about this film is how it brings to light the fact that our memories can change over time. What truly happened in life may have looked or seemed very different than what we have unknowingly convinced ourselves that it was. Our mind has the capability of tricking itself and changing our feelings, opinions or outlook. This film is a visually captivating look at what our mind's eye can sometimes see and feel... and change.

The performances are heart-breaking, humorous, honest and gut-wrenching. The fantastical and the true to life are juxtaposed together in such a lovely, surreal & poetic manner that you can't help but love the message.

How happy is the blameless vestal's lot!
The world forgetting, by the world forgot.
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd
~Alexander Pope











{all images via Tumblr}

~Andrea~

7 comments:

Amber said...

This is my favorite movie of all times. I adore it and it makes me weep every time I watch it.
So so beautiful and perfect in every way!
<33

Erin said...

goooood choice! this one has always been in my top 5 :) i love everyone in it! (especially mark ruffalo... mmm..)

Janee Lookerse said...

You may think I'm crazy... But this movie makes me super depressed. I can't watch it anymore. I don't know what it is, I just get all mopey for days after seeing it.

xoxo
Janee

Unknown said...

@Amber, AGREEED!!

@Erin, oh tooootally...

@Janee, I don't think you're crazy. It's totally understandable. It's not the most happy go lucky film out there.

grey rose (they/them) said...

i love this movie. oh my goodness! i saw it first during a tender(destructive) time in my life and was blown away. anytime since, i am wrapped in the movie, but also transported back to my past. it hurts and feels good all at once.

memories are important to me. the horrific and the joyful. i need them all. they made me.


thanks, andrea! loving this series!

Unknown said...

This is in my TOP five movies... of all time. Love.

Unknown said...

@Hannah, I'm so with you on this!! And I'm so happy that you like my new series! <3

@Erin, xoxo!