Tuesday, June 14, 2011

He asked for it...

What did I do today you ask?

Oh, you know, the usual. I baked a delicious apple pie from scratch.

...

Okay, that's not "the usual", but it is something that I really enjoy doing and I haven't baked a pie from scratch in months, so I decided it was time to do some baking.





{and what I mean by "pre-made" is that I made it yesterday, from scratch, 
with a pastry blender because I prefer it to the food processor when it comes to doughs}






{mix dry & wet ingredients with apples, toss to coat, pour into pie dish, dot with butter}




David went nuts. He actually asked me to bake a pie because he's watching Twin Peaks again and had a hankering. I should have video recorded his reaction when he took the first bite. The look on his face was priceless. He said it was probably the best apple pie he's ever tasted and coming from him that is a huge compliment. Eating apple pie should be his official hobby. He is apple pie spoiled, that boy.

I also made my mom's "chewies" with the pie dough scraps.



Weight Watchers friendly?
Why, yes! I'm glad you asked.

The pie serves 8-10
12 points per slice if serving 8
10 points per slice if serving 10

I know that sounds steep, but I'm telling you it is worth every point. There really isn't anything out there that beats homemade pie.

{Recipe from Martha Stewart}

11 comments:

Cydney Kyhn said...

Oh.my.goodness!! first off, ALL of your photos are amazing! I love that you did step by step on how to make the pie because believe me, I will be trying this recipe! second I already know that my pie won't look anything like your beautiful pie, seriously?! it almost looks too delicious to eat, but I'm sure it tastes just as great as it looks! great post!

Brianna Renee said...

mmm, that pie looks delicious!! i've been wanting to make a pie from scratch lately. especially after having watched all the episodes from pushing daisies (Ted the pie maker) i've been waiting to make one and this recipe looks perfect :)

Anonymous said...

LOL'ing my butt off at one of the millions of tags "housewifery"! Bahaha!
Well girlie, i think it's confirmed. You are a woman after my own heart.
I KNOW now for a fact we'd make fantabulous friends...if anything I'd use you for your food!! HAHAHA! JOKES!
Love you missy, have a grand Wednesday....I'm off to bed soon. Our time difference still baffles me!
xx Stacey

Maria said...

Yummmmmmmmmm want want want! It looks so good!

Mrs. Biscuit said...

That pie looks incredible... I'm trying to stay away from wheat... it isn't going well. I WANT PIE! Haha!

Oh and those chewies... what an awesome idea for leftover dough! You definitely have a clever mama!

<3 http://muffinlovesbiscuit.blogspot.com/2011/06/mr-muffin-15-questions.html

Carly Anne said...

Looks incredible. Can I ask what kind of a dish you're using?

Mariah Magagnotti said...

Very delicious looking! I made a chicken pot pie from scratch tonight. Its nice to know I'm not the only one who gets a hankering for homemade pie!

Anonymous said...

um. I want to marry you.

Unknown said...

@Cydney, thank you so much! practice definitely makes perfect. the first few pies i ever made were not this pretty, HA HA!

@Bri, thanks so much! i've never watched pushing daisies, but i might have to now :)

@Stacey, i think we'd be great friends too! haha, i thought that i was being all clever by saying "housewifery" HA HA!

@Maria, thank you!!

@Mrs. Biscuit, thanks lady! i think my mama is pretty clever too. those chewies are one of my favorite things in the world.

@Carly Anne, thanks! the pie dish is from williams-sonoma :)

@Mariah, ooooooh chicken pot pie... that makes me wish i ate land meat!

@Rachel, BAAAHAHAHAHA... well i'm sorry i'm taken, as you know and i'm sure your hubs would be upset, but i wouldn't mind baking you a pie for your family sometime soon since we live so close!! <3

Victoria said...

That pie looks great! You make it look so easy, but I know it's not! For me, anyway. You have a lucky husband! =)

Unknown said...

Victoria, thank you so much! Actually pie making is so not easy. It's actually one of the hardest things I ever learned to bake, but the more I baked pies, the easier it got! :)