Friday, August 26, 2011

films friday

films friday is back.


I've decided to drop the "fabulous" from the title because, well, it just seemed a little silly to me and also I think I am going to make it a bi-monthly post instead of weekly. I mean, it's my blog so I can do that, right?

Today's addition is another one of my top ten favorites: 

GARDEN STATE


I'm gonna be honest and say that for a while I did not like this film.
The first time I saw it was because someone else told me they thought I would love it and I did, but then after that and for a couple of years after it was released, I refused to watch it and even told myself (as well as others) that I did not like it.

And here's why:

The soundtrack. 
The soundtrack is AMAZING. I realized this. 
But the problem with the soundtrack, for me, was how everyone reacted to it. It is filled with songs and artists that I had already grown to love and count as some of my favorites, but when this film came out everyone and their mother could not stop talking about how much they loved those particular songs/artists.

Not because they had previously fell in love with them, oh no. Most of the people (one person in particular) who went on and on about it had never even heard those songs or the artists before Mr. Zach Braff helped them "discover" it, but all of a sudden because of this film they were "in the know" and for some reason that really got under my skin. Maybe it was because I felt they didn't love it because they loved it, but because Zach Braff and his fantastic film was telling them to love it.

There were a few films that were released during the time of my college years that were talked about so much that I just couldn't handle it anymore. They were quoted to death and just totally beaten down until everything I loved about them was gone and the only thing I could do was to declare that I hated it.

Mature right? 

Well I was irritated at my peers, so that's how I reacted... and I was all of 22, so that explains it.

Now part of the reason why I felt this way is because there is a particular scene that blew my mind. I had had an experience a couple of years prior to seeing this film with the song "New Slang" by The Shins. That experience honestly changed my life. It was nothing that a normal person would deem as life-altering. It wasn't a rite of passage type moment or even a "first". It was just a moment on a rainy September day and something just shifted in my life and it just so happens that "New Slang" was playing on the stereo.

The scene that blows my mind goes as such:

For some reason or another I found it so crazy that Natalie Portman's character actually tells Zach Braff's character that "New Slang" by The Shins will change his life... because it changed mine. 

I don't know why that scene got to me, but even to this day I find it fascinating. Don't you think it's so weird when something you think is so particular and special for you is replicated in a film? I guess I do.

I'm not going to go into details about the possible meaning of the film or what I think is so great about it, because honestly, I'm not 100% sure. Pretty much all that I am going to say is that this film accurately captures a time in a person's life when they are going through a huge shift or change, namely the time in a young adult's life. I think part of the reason why this film was so popular amongst people my age is because it spoke (and still speaks) to us in a way that most books, films, tv shows or scripts do. Zach Braff really hit the nail on the head with this one.

I highly recommend that if you have not seen this film, you need to.









9 comments:

Adrian said...

I haven't seen this movie in such a long time but I really liked it. I need to watch it again. And I'm loving your header picture. So, so pretty.

Unknown said...

Why thank you, my dear!!

Alyss said...

LOVE this movie. I think it's Natalie Portman's best role she's had. And awesome soundtrack. You are spot on.

grey rose (they/them) said...

first of all, i am way behind on blog reading.

ok, so i haven't seen this. but, i too had a life moment with new slang. of epic proportion. so i can dig this. also? that quote really hits me. i have had that feeling before!! MUST see this film.

love this series. true every post. i will say that every week. xo

Unknown said...

I love Garden State!! Plus...they have a killer soundtrack in that movie.

Marie said...

one of my favorite movies, and i think my favorite soundtrack. brings back so many happy memories. and the funny thing is, i've been meaning to watch it again for the last 2 weeks. so now i have to. maybe tonight!

♥ CheChe said...

i don't remember exactly what the film was about. but your post definitely has me wanting to go out and rent it and re-discover what in the world it was about. lol love the trailer too. It really invoked so much emotion. And yes. I know the soundtrack was amazing. I didn't buy it but I can only imagine.

♥cheche

Anonymous said...

I loved this movie when it came out (soundtrack included) and to this day, I still love this movie.

I recently watched it two weeks ago. I had played the soundtrack around the same time and my Mom really liked it. She found the songs to be quite interesting.

She knew about Coldplay from before and obviously Paul Simon, but the rest of the artists, she wasn't too sure of.

To me, it's one of those movies that I wouldn't get sick of. I don't consider it a classic, but it is worth the watch.

Sorry for my long comment.

Victoria Gayle said...

This movie will always hold a special place in my heart. It came out on dvd right around the time me and my boyfriend started dating. We watched it once and instantly fell in love with it. Ever since then we consider it "our movie" and watch it annunaly together. It just brings me back to the beginning of our relationship when everything was fresh and new and it makes me cry happy tears. They really should release it on Bluray already! And the soundtrack? Dont even get me started on that! Too amazing for words.