Tuesday, August 30, 2011

my obsession with cooking and baking

So I'm a little obsessed with The Food Network. I swear that if Dave and I gave up cable, that would be so difficult for me only because I really need my Food Network fix. I even record series. I watch TFN like Dave watches ESPN.

I just love to cook and bake so much. Growing up I always asked my mom if she would teach me to cook and bake because she was amazing at it, as was my grandma and I figured I could be good at it too. She never did teach me, so it wasn't until I developed IBS a few years ago that I had to learn on my own. No one wanted to eat the food I made for myself and I couldn't eat the food anyone else made, so I had to figure it out on my own.

And I'm telling you it was the best thing ever. I'm so glad that I had IBS for those couple of years because it forced me to learn to cook.

When my IBS went away, I started watching a lot of cooking shows. I love them so much now, I even watch The Cooking Channel, which is also a great network.

There's just something about cooking and baking that puts me in this place of confidence and comfort. It makes me happy to make something for someone, even if I'm not going to eat it. I love to create something and try new recipes for others to enjoy. Sometimes I'll even bake something for Dave to take to the guys at work just because I had the itching to bake. I've even toyed with the idea of going to culinary school if this whole Acting or Directing MFA doesn't work out for me. I seriously love it that much.

I may not always cook the fanciest things or have all of the gadgets I want, but at least the things I cook and bake are delicious. There have only been two recipes I've made that Dave has not loved... and those were WW recipes that I had a feeling wouldn't be all that great. I better stop because now I'm sounding all braggy braggy, and that's not what I want.

But I just love it so much!

Here are a few clips from my favorite cooking shows

Giada at Home by Giada De Laurentiis


The Barefoot Contessa by Ina Garten


Nigella Lawson


Paula's Best Dishes by Paula Deen


I actually watch Paula because she makes me laugh. I've only made one of her recipes (Red Velvet Cupcakes) and they were amazing, but I'm afraid of all that butter she uses in everything else, haha.

Now let's talk about the recipe blog for a bit. I am all ready to go with this thing, but I still can't commit to a name!! If any of you would like to send me some suggestions, I'd be ever so grateful!

10 comments:

M.R. said...

they call me cooky- get it cookie, cooky like cooking!! haha

wifey in the kitchen

watch wifey cook

i know these aren't that good- i'll keep thinking!

mindofmr.blogspot.com

Kasey Lynne said...

I've recently become the SAME way. The Food Network is always on(or being recorded) and I've been printing out recipes like it's my J-O-B!!

I'm so excited for your recipe/cooking blog. I wish I was creative and could give you some ideas for the name, BUT I lack in the creativity dept.

But if you ever need another taste tester (because I'm sure Dave will be your #1) count me IN!

Caitlin said...

My husband loves Giada, but not for her food, haha! I know what you mean about IBS...I have celiac disease and it's forced me to cook for myself a lot. Excited to see your recipes!

Dana Fox said...

i wish i had the motivation to try to cook. i'm alright with the basics, and i like to bake treats, but that's about as far as i get haha.
xox dana
thewonderforest.com

Kacie said...

when we moved and turned off cable.. i thought i was going to dieeee..
no not really, but i was seriously bummed i wouldn't be able to watch the barefoot contessa, bobby flay, or paula anymore.
but girl, let me just confirm what you've already said seeing as i've eaten your food....

you are a REALLY good cook.
(and i totally wanted that pasta again last night. mmmmm)

lol i stiilllll think the recipe blog should be called: He Calls Me Betty.. ;)

mandyface said...

I crave your cooking energy! Its something I really want to get into, especially since I have a hungry husband. Also, didn't know you were into acting! I'm focused on mainly improv right now, but I keep debating about getting my degree in acting...right now its business but...so hard to decide lol

Lindsey said...

How on earth did you make your IBS go away? I have had it forever it seems like and it just won't go away.

Kelly Krewson said...

My Hubby calls me Wifey too. My obsession is HGTV. He threatens to block it all the time LOL
#commenthour

Elian Tyson said...

Visiting from #CommentHour. Congrats!

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your header. All I can say is WOW. Great job!

Unknown said...

thanks for all the awesome comments guys! i'll respond with your questions asap!