Wednesday, December 14, 2011

drought (and a fresh new look)



it may seem as though i have fallen off the face of the earth.
or that i don't care.
or that i have given up.
or that i'm just too busy to put in the time and effort it takes to keep a blog running.
and read other blogs.

i'm going to be completely honest here.
for a while i didn't care.
i did give up (almost).
i have been extremely busy.
i haven't read any blogs. at all.

i passed up opportunities to be featured on some really great blogs.
i passed up many opportunities to write what's going on in my head and in my heart.
i literally avoided even looking at my computer.

for the past couple of months i have been busy rehearsing for the play i associate directed at VUSC and supporting the cast and crew by seeing as many performances as i could.
i have been so busy that i only just began my Christmas shopping (two down, i don't even want to think about how many more to go).
i haven't even thought about sending out Christmas cards.
i only recently decorated my house for the holidays.
i have been doing well at WW, as far as i know.
i have spent all of my free time with David (the hubs), Bogart (the kitteh) and with Lisbeth Salander (those books are crazy good).
and some time with the Bard (Shakespeare, that is).
i have been working on some monologues, doing as much as i can in a short period of time and too little hours in the day to prepare for grad school applications/auditions.
i have been thinking a lot about the play that i am going to start writing this year with the help of one of my favorite college professors, Warren "Sir" Doody (the "Sir" is an inside joke, sorry to be so elitist).
i have been asked by my mentor, head of the theatre department at VUSC, and founder of American Coast Theater Co., Sue Berkompas, to play the lead in one of ACTC's summer 2012 plays, which just so happens to be written by Sir Doody himself (i'm a lucky gal these days).

all of that to say, i've been busy. 
i've put he calls me wifey on the back burner.
i got lazy.
i hope you all can understand.

but being busy wasn't the only thing keeping me away.
i've written drafts of the reason(s) why, but never had the nerve to hit publish.
maybe this season i will.
but not today.

so to hopefully kick start my blogging again, i have refurbished the place. 
i've spruced it up a bit to help me get back into the swing of things, to cease this drought.
i needed a fresh start.
i needed a new look.

i hope you like the new look of this space.

16 comments:

AMF said...

You and I must have differing definitions for laziness. A blog is such a trifling thing in the face of the wonderful grandness that is life. Sure, it's not always enjoyable, but it's almost always impacting. In that regard, I'm not sure anyone could fault you for not blogging about your life when you were too busy living it.

Unknown said...

lazy probably wasn't the right word to use.

while i'd much rather be living my life than writing about a life i'm not living, writing about what's going on in my heart and in my head is important to me.
and i've met so many wonderful women/bloggers since i've joined this community that i really appreciate as well as consider real friendships, whether i've met them or not and by not blogging consistently or reading their blogs i felt that i was "checking out" of my friendships.

and like i said, there are other reasons besides being busy that i wasn't blogging, things i need to really consider talking about, or at the very least beginning a dialogue. avoiding those reasons isn't healthy, especially for me. i can't avoid things because they always come back and jab at or irk me.

besides, i can still live my life and blog about it, i just wasn't allowing myself to.

mandyface said...

I think its healthy to take a break every now and then and just focus on living! Glad you're back though :)

Unknown said...

thank you mandy! i really appreciate that.

grey rose (they/them) said...

andrea, you are awesome. and so is your new look! busy is good sometimes. sounds like your busy is good! always love it here...no matter how often you post you are loved and adored!

grateful for you. xo

Unknown said...

hannah, you always know what to say to make me feel better! <3 you!!

Caitlin said...

I think all bloggers hit this wall, and I think stepping away is good for everyone. To me it seems that if you "get" blogging, you'll always return to it when you're ready and when you want to. I'll be reading whatever you decide to write because you're a fabulous lady! Love the new look :)

Unknown said...

Caitlin, you are amazing. Thank you so much!!
xoxo!

Barbara said...

glad to see you back, missed you and your writing. :) lovely new layout, and yes, rest is good. breaks are good. and as far as i have experienced, the bard is good too.

Anonymous said...

oh i've been feeling the same way!! and i understand that feeling of staying away not just cuz you are busy but cuz there are things you just aren't willing to address. i'm feeling the same. i know i'm not really a blogger first...i'm trying to have a shop first...but there is a similarity in reasons why i've been staying away as well. i get it.

that being said...i love the new design! i'm really digging a clean style lately.

xoxo
kate

Kacie said...

i know i was definitely sluggish a month or so ago since i had SUCH big news going on in my life, but i wasn't ready to blog about it..
so i definitely know what you mean.
and like mandy said.. it's healthy to take breaks sometimes to get your thoughts in order :)
love you girl.

Unknown said...

Barbara, thank you so much! I'm so happy that you enjoy my posts and the Bard as well!

Kate, I am so glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Perhaps next time I need a break I will just have some lovely bloggers like you fill in for me! Thanks for the positive review on the new layout. I'm feeling the clean and minimal look, too!

Kacie, thank you so much. i love you like woah.

kelly ann said...

It's nice to see you back, lady :)
I miss VU plays... I think I need to see one sometime in the near future. I so wish I would had auditioned for one back in the day! I regret it just a little bit.

Unknown said...

Kelly Ann, thank you! i'm sad that you never auditioned for a play, we would have known each other then! but i understand how scary auditioning is. ugh, it never gets easy. hopefully you can come see the play i'll be in this summer. that'd be awesome :)

Leslie @ top of the page said...

be brave, my friend. put it out there. chances are, you're not alone, and you have readers who need what you have to bring. but we're patient :)

Unknown said...

Leslie, thank you for saying that. I think I really needed to hear it. Now I don't feel so alone in my thought, even though I haven't even shared it yet :)
XOXO