Sunday, December 19, 2010

just around the corner



Just about every year my mom and I will take a trip to STATS to look at all of the beautiful ornaments, decorations, ribbons and trees. It really isn't Christmas without that outing of ours. I know this because one Christmas she went without me because I just couldn't make it that particular day and she needed to go asap, so that year, it just wasn't the same. 


Even if we don't buy much, or anything at all, we still love to walk around the store and get inspired by new items or new decorating ideas. We also check out the adorable Department 56 Snow Villages. Jeff, my mom's bf has a collection. He is currently working on getting all of the pieces for the "Christmas in the City" village. He sets it up in their back room every year (except this year, of course, since we'll be in New York). My favorite is the Dickens' Village Series (pictured below).


I took about a billion photos, but I didn't want to bombard my blog with all of them, so I chose to feature a few of the ones that stood out the most to me.









 i love anything miniature, 
so i get a little giddy when i see these




 just LOOK at that wall of ornaments.
and that was only ONE wall!

 i picked out that wreath for my door 
and we both chose that ribbon for my mom to attach.
she made that bow in less than a minute.
i'm serious.

I'm actually starting to get a little blue that this year will be different than any other Christmas I've had. Don't get me wrong, I am extremely excited to go to New York and have my very first White Christmas, and my first Christmas married to David, but there really is no place like home for the holidays. 


As much as the holidays seem to bring me such an overwhelming bittersweet feeling*, I adore the holiday season and especially Christmas, being home and with my remaining family members, is such a comfort. 


I wonder what it will be like to wake up in a hotel room on Christmas morning, looking out the window at snow**, meeting up with everyone in my mom's hotel room, with no presents to exchange, going to a Catholic church for mass and having Italian food for dinner. I can't complain, though, because the trip will be our gift and I'm a lucky girl because I consider Wednesday to be the start of our eight day Christmas. It's just that when you're used to the comfort of knowing what it will be like, the unknown seems so unpredictable and, well, adventurous, I suppose.


I do admit that I have been looking forward to this trip all year long and knowing that it's just 2 short days away is getting me anxious and nervous and excited. This will be a Christmas we will never forget.


*My dad's birthday was on Christmas day and I have cherished Christmas memories with him when he was still alive, and my grandparents always made the holidays so special. It was sometimes hard to walk around my house when my mom was decorating with all of her many trees and wreaths and garlands and not hear my papa singing Bing Crosby Christmas songs at the top of his lungs, or watching Meet Me in St. Louis with him. Judy Garland's "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" makes me teary every time I hear it, missing my papa and grandma.


**Let's keep our fingers crossed that we will have a window to look out of and that there will be snow falling when we look out of it.

9 comments:

Diana Smith said...

Is stats still around?? Wow I remember as a kid going there all the time because my mom would just stare and gawk at everything!! Now I wish I could go back because I would do the same thing!

Heather said...

Hi new friend! I love all your christmasy photos, so inspiring! Have fun in NY! have you been there before? I have never and for now dream about going there one day.


<3

erin m. said...

I am so excited for you and your trip! You will have so much fun. I have never been to New York, but can't wait to go someday. Looking forward to hearing about it and seeing pictures!

Kacie said...

my mom and i would go to world market every Christmas :) pick out an ornament for the year and hang in on the tree.
when i started buying my own gifts for people i'd make a run to that store and pick out ornaments for every gift.
still do it to this day!
a present isn't a present till it has an ornament on it ;)

Unknown said...

Diana: Yes, it's still around! The one we go to is near the Seal Beach exit off of the 405. You should go!!

Heather: Thank you! Yes, I have been there a few times, but only in the Spring or Summer time. I've always wanted to visit during winter so I'm really looking forward to this trip.

Heather & Erin: If you ever get a chance to go, don't pass it up! It's one of the best cities in the world.

Kacie: I love World Market, too! Isn't it so nice to have these little traditions that make the holidays special, ones that we can pass on to our kids someday, too?

Natalie said...

That shop looks incredible! Have fun in NY, seems like the perfect place to spend Christmas!

Unknown said...

Thanks Natalie! You should totally take a trip to STATS (and NY, of course). It's the perfect way to get into the Christmas spirit!

Jayne said...

OH.MY.CHRISTMASSTARS! How Have I never been to such a magical place such as STATS? I need to go! NY will be a new Christmas for you, but I'm sure it will be a magical one. Look to this time as a chance for you and Dave to build some memories and traditions that are just yours as your OWN family...that you can pass on to the bebes! ;)

Unknown said...

Court: You MUST go to STATS. Seriously. Maybe next year I'll take you! It is so magical.

And seriously, you are the best <3
I will be repeating your words in my head while we are there.
XOXO