Monday, April 4, 2011

One Year Anniversary Weekend {Image Heavy}



On the weekend of March 13th, David and I celebrated one year of marriage. We were given the wonderful opportunity to go back to The Millennium Biltmore in downtown LA, where we were married exactly a year earlier.
There is no better word to describe that weekend than bittersweet. The memories of moments and of people flooded back like a huge crashing wave. 
I’d be lying if I said that this first year hasn’t been difficult. My family has gone through hell and it’s been a really hard road for each of us in different ways. There were so many times that I asked God, “Why this year? Why in our first year of marriage?,” but I have no reason to question the Lord and his infinite wisdom and unusual timing. 
I lost a couple of friends to circumstance, bitterness, ignorance, or betrayal. I also lost a dear, lifelong friend who meant so much to me. So much more than I realized until the moment the shocking news of his death was relayed. I also gained some wonderful friends and re-gained an old one. I attended three funerals within one month, one of which I didn’t think I could sit through without wanting to scream obscenities at the top of my lungs (and for good reason) and another that I couldn’t hold back the brokenhearted tears of a man who deserved a standing ovation.
A lot of things occurred, some wonderful and some horrible, but the one thing I know for sure is that I don’t think I could have gone through it and come out this in tact without David. He has stood by me through one of the toughest years of my life. He has put up with so many tears, so many rants, so many moody moments and outbursts of frustration or anger. Though he can’t fully understand, he tries his best to do so. He prays for me, he holds my hand, he rubs my back, he brings me water and tea. He wraps his arms around me and comforts my aching heart... be still my aching heart.
This year has also tested my faith. It has made me question a few of my beliefs. It has brought me to a place of trust and hope in the Lord. It has made me face my demons and has opened my eyes to what lies within my heart of hearts. 
David and I got a lot more involved in church, we have developed friendships with some really great people and are still beginning others. I have sought counseling for what this year has brought and though I am no where near the place of closure, I am on the path to healing. 
And that is where we are at right now. 


So here are some (translation: a TON) of photos from our Anniversary weekend. We had so much fun. We relaxed, we ate great food, we swam in the pool, we slept in. It was fabulous.


{In the bar where our favorite shot from the wedding was taken}


 {On a walk in downtown}


 {We visited the costume exibit and LOVED it. My favorite costume? 
The one pictured below from The Young Victoria}


{Louie’s macrons are almost as good as the ones in Paris}




{This beautiful bookstore was next to the Biltmore}








{We visited the roof}





 {They gave us the same room we spent our mini honeymoon in}





{That table is where we ate our first meal as marrieds}








{Library Bar}

{After a few glasses of champagne, we snuck into the room where our reception took place}











{The eating of the one year old cake...}


{My mom packed up the cake with programs from the wedding ceremony}



{Gross. I wanted to spit it out, but Dave made me swallow it}




{Enjoying the complimentary champagne}




{We had our anniversary dinner at The Edison where I had my bachelorette party at}



{Burlesque!}


{Second night of complimentary champagne!}








{Breakfast at the Pantry Cafe = best pancakes of my life}




{My favorite bakery: Babycakes!}



You can also view a lot more photos of our anniversary at my Flickr here



27 comments:

mandyface said...

absolutely stunning! and i loooove your header!

♥ CheChe said...

what state is this in??? I absolutely love the decor of the Hotel your wedding took place in. I love it. You guys look like you enjoyed yourselves. I truly pray I get to enjoy the communion of Christ with my husband someday. But nonetheless Christ is more than enough for me whether single or married :). Lol The mind does drift as a single woman sometimes though. hehe

♥cheche

p.s PRAISE GOD for the healing and the renewing of you...

Dearest Lou said...

what lovely photos sounds liek you two had a perfect one year anniversary! our shoes are kinda similar!! haha you should check out my latest post! your blog is so cute you should check mine out and follow if you like mine. i'm following you {;
xoxo
http://missprettypeacock.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

that sounds like an intense year. i'm sorry for your loss. it sounds like you and your sweet hubs have pushed through and have grown stronger in the process. hang in there sweet friend!

Jessica said...

Great pictures...looks like a place I need to take my hubby. I'm sorry your first year was rough, but I think every year gets better. I hope it's the case for you.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I just stumbled across your blog and WOW... just beautiful! What a blessed anniversary! xx

arielle elise. said...

ah, awesome pictures!! looks like ya'll had an amazing time! :)

Young People in Love said...

Sooo fancy! Happy anniversary!

grey rose (they/them) said...

best image heavy post. ever.
stunning photos! that bookstore looks like a place i could love.

y'all are so dang cute!
xo

Hayley said...

Sooo... You are friends with Rachel (I remember you used to live with her and jeffry right?) And she told me you have a cute blog I should check out and you do! And now I keep seeing you pop up on all of these other blogs I read too! SO.. new follower right here!

Love these photos too by the way! Happy Anniversary!

Hayley
The Weekend File

Kasey Lynne said...

Andrea,
The beginning of this post really touched me. I admire your honesty with the things that you said. I'm sorry to hear that you and Dave had a tough first year, but I am confident that God is molding you two into the man and woman He wants you to be. I'm praying for you my friend. I am so happy that we've reconnected through this blog and from church. I know we aren't close friends, but know that I am always up for just being there and listening, if need be.

Diana Smith said...

what a fabulous anniversary! Those macroons look divine and your hotel room looks soo fancy!!

Sweet Pea (formerly Alice) said...

Wow, the Biltmore looks amazing... I also questioned by faith this year and I just joined a church... Hope year 2 is better than year 1!
Just a Silhouette

Unknown said...

Mandyface: Thank you!!

Cheche: Los Angeles, California! We fell in love with it, too and were so lucky to be able to get married there. It was amazing. I pray that the Lord blesses you with a love of your own! <3

Cecilia: Thanks pretty lady! I will definitely check out your blog ;)

Melissa: You are such a dear. Thank you so much for your encouragement! <3

Jessica: Awww, thanks so much!

Em: Thanks lady!!

Arielle: We did, thank you!! :)

Sam: Why, thank you!

Hannah: You are the coolest and sweetest!!

Hayley: Hello friend!! Thanks so much for letting me know! I'll definitely follow you back :)

Kasey: You are such a sweet friend. Thank you so much for the encouragement and the sentiments. I really appreciate them dearly. And I feel the same about you! <3<3<3

Diana: Thanks love! They were super tasty!

Unknown said...

Alice: Thank you! I hope that this year was a great opportunity of growth for you and I'm glad you found a church!!

Anonymous said...

Amazing! Wow, what an anniversary! Congratulations!
Your year sounds so similar to mine...losing friends and gaining friends and re-gaining old friends. But it looks like the year ahead is going to be a great one judging by the way you've started it!
He has it in His hands xx

amy said...

Every image is stunning.
You two are the sweetest gems x


kisses,
amy !
www.amyflyingakite.com

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate your first year! Here is to many happy years ahead of you!

Kacie said...

fancy andrea.
you pull off those socks and tights so well my dear :)

Unknown said...

Stacey: you are such a sweetheart. thank you so much!!

Amy: thank you! you are a doll :)

Krysten: awwww, thank you!

Kacie: you are too kind, too kind!

Andrea Stevenson said...

All of the pictures are absolutely gorgeous! What a wonderful anniversary. How fun to be able to relive all of those wonderful memories again. I can't wait till December to celebrate with my husband:) -Lovin your blog

pics-o-andrea

Whim Wham Life said...

Beautiful photos from a beautiful weekend! Sounds like it was much deserved AND needed! What a crazy year it's been for you? God knew the timing of it all, that's for sure...Wishing you both lots of peace and joy right now:-) xoxo

Lissa Chandler said...

i love these pictures! super fancy. happy anniversary!

Lady Grey said...

Aw, happy anniversary! Such fabulous photos! Looks like you had an amazing time : )
xo

Kandice Breinholt said...

wow this is one perfect one year anniversary! i hope mine is similar {magical wise if i do say so-no matter how cheesy} but seriously, it looks magical!

Adrian said...

It's nice to have a husband that sticks by you, even through all the ugly parts of life. He sounds like a good man and I'm sure over the years the two of you will only grow closer because of the trials you have faced together. Happy Anniversary.
That room looks amazing and now I'm think the hubby and I need a little vacation there, even if it's just for one night. And that bookstore looks fantastic. I could probably waste an entire day in there. How fun that the two of you got to go back.

Unknown said...

Thank you everyone for the well wishes! I feel so blessed!!

Andrea: thank you dearie! I'll def check out your blog :)

Adrian: you should DEFINITELY stay at the Biltmore. It was breathtaking!!